(for the sponge cake)
125 g. sugar
125 g. flour
2 spoonfuls of powdered cocoa
butter for the baking pan
(for the covering)
250 ml whipped cream
100 g dark chocolate (to melt)
1. Separate egg yolks from whites. Place in different bowls. Whisk egg whites until stiff and leave for later.
2. Mix egg yolks and sugar and beat until yellow starts turning whitish.
3. Mix flour and powdered cocoa.
4. Very slowly add egg whites to the sugar and yolk mixture and stir until you have a uniform batter. Then sift the flour and cocoa into this mixture and mix until batter is uniform again.
5. Pour the batter into a buttered baking pan and bake at 180ºC for 20 minutes.
6. While it bakes, melt the chocolate in a bowl. You can do it in the microwave. Just heat for a minute, stir the chocolate and repeat until it’s totally melted. Leave to cool for a minute.
7. Carefully and slowly mix whipped cream with melted chocolate until you can’t distinguish either from the other. Leave in the fridge to cool, for at least an hour.
8. When sponge cake is cool, place on a plate and generously cover with the chocolate truffle making sure the sides are covered too.
9. Finally, sprinkle with crushed almonds and leave in the fridge to cool until serving.
(10. Additionally, it can also be filled with filling of choice: marmalade, truffle, fruit, etc.)